Current:Home > ContactWill Menendez brothers be freed? Family makes fervent plea amid new evidence -Capitatum
Will Menendez brothers be freed? Family makes fervent plea amid new evidence
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 04:05:06
Relatives of Lyle and Erik Menendez, brothers serving life sentences for the murder of their parents in 1989, are pleading for the siblings' release as the district attorney's office says it met with the family and is considering new evidence in the infamous case.
A group of more than 20 family members told reporters Wednesday that they will urge Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon to free the Menendez brothers in light of the new evidence, which they say demonstrates the abuse the brothers suffered at the hands of their father, Jose Menendez.
"I implore the district attorney’s office to end our prolonged suffering and release Lyle and Erik back to our family," said a statement by the sister of Jose Menendez. "Thirty-five years is such a long time. My prayer is that I live long enough to see my nephews again and to hug them once more."
A jury found the Menendez brothers guilty of the murder of their parents, Jose and Kitty Menendez, in 1996 after their first highly televised trial ended in a mistrial.
Erik and Lyle Menendez argued they acted in self-defense and said they were sexually abused by both parents. Prosecutors said that the abuse never happened and that the brothers were seeking their parents' fortune. The brothers' attorneys and the coalition of family members have said the judge overseeing the second trial excluded substantial evidence of the abuse the Menendez brothers had suffered.
Now their case, which has gained fresh attention after a slew of documentaries and a controversial true crime drama, is being reviewed at length by the district attorney's office.
Here is what we know about the new evidence and the district attorney's evaluation of the case:
New evidence includes letter allegedly written by Menendez brother
The new evidence being weighed by the district attorney's office includes a letter purportedly written by Erik Menendez to his cousin, Andy Cano, in which he alludes to the abuse he suffered.
An excerpt of the letter, which the defense says was written eight months before the murders, was included in the 2023 habeas corpus petition filed by the brothers' attorneys.
"I’ve been trying to avoid dad. Its still happening Andy but its worse for me now,” according to an excerpt. “I never know when its going to happen and its driving me crazy. Every night I stay up thinking he might come in.”
Later, the letter states: "I know what you said before but I'm afraid. You just don't know dad like I do. He's crazy! He's warned me a hundred times about telling anyone."
Investigators also are examining allegations from a member of the 1980s pop band Menudo that he was abused by Jose Menendez, who was a music executive. Those allegations were publicized last year in Peacock documentary series called "Menendez + Menudo: Boys Betrayed."
Family members call for release of Menendez brothers
The brothers' family said Wednesday that the siblings should either be let go or given a new trial, citing the new evidence and the evolution in the understanding of sexual abuse victims.
“If Lyle and Erik’s case were heard today, with the understanding we now have about abuse and PTSD, there is no doubt in my mind that their sentencing would have been very different," said Anamaria Baralt, the niece of José Menendez.
"It’s time to recognize the injustice they’ve suffered and allow them the second chance they deserve,” she said. “Now we stand, both sides of the family united, sharing a new bond of hope."
Joan VanderMolen, Kitty Menendez’s sister, told reporters the family was unaware of the abuse the brothers suffered, adding that "abuse has long effects, and victims of trauma sometimes act in ways that are very difficult to understand."
“I had no idea the extent of the abuse they suffered at the hands of my brother-in-law. None of us did," she said.
Later Wednesday, the district attorney's office acknowledged the evolution in how the criminal justice system handles cases involving sexual abuse.
"Our office has developed a more modern understanding of sexual violence since the Menendez brothers first faced prosecution," it said. "Today, our office acknowledges that sexual violence is a pervasive issue affecting countless individuals − of all gender identities − and we are committed to supporting all victims as they navigate the profound impacts of such trauma."
DA's office 'exploring every avenue' as it evaluates Menendez cases
In a statement, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said Wednesday that it had met with the Menendez family and was working to "ensure justice is served."
"We have heard the heartfelt pleas from the Menendez family regarding a review of this case. While we cannot formally comment on any decisions at this time, please know that our office is dedicated to a thorough and fair process and is exploring every avenue available to our office to ensure justice is served," a statement from the office said.
The office's resentencing unit is reviewing the cases, "focusing on rehabilitation and behavior during time served," the statement said. The office's writs and appeals division, meanwhile, was combing through new evidence and questions surrounding evidence in the previous trials.
"Prosecutors are still seeking full documentation of the defense’s claims," the statement said. "The office is working as quickly as justice permits."
If the brothers are resentenced, Erik and Lyle Menendez could walk out of prison having served 35 years for their parents' murders. The other possibilities include the brothers receiving a lesser sentence and even a new trial, according to the district attorney's office.
The next court date is scheduled for Nov. 26.
Contributing: Reuters; Jonathan Limehouse, USA TODAY
veryGood! (74281)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Jury returns mixed verdict in slaying of Detroit synagogue leader Samantha Woll
- Kim Kardashian Reacts After Ivanka Trump Celebrates Daughter's 13th Birthday With Taylor Swift Cake
- This week on Sunday Morning (July 21)
- Sam Taylor
- Donald Trump's Granddaughter Kai Trump Gives Rare Insight on Bond With Former President
- Fact check of Trump, others on Day 4 of the Republican National Convention
- What is swimmer’s itch? How to get rid of this common summertime rash
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- After 5 sickened, study finds mushroom gummies containing illegal substances
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Republicans emerge from their convention thrilled with Trump and talking about a blowout victory
- Another Texas migrant aid group asks a judge to push back on investigation by Republican AG
- Bud Light slips again, falling behind Modelo and Michelob Ultra after boycott
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Man gets 3 years in death of fiancée who went missing in Ohio in 2011
- TNT honors Shannen Doherty with 'Charmed' marathon celebrating the 'best of Prue'
- Boxer Ryan Garcia has been charged for alleged vandalism, the Los Angeles DA announced
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Alabama set to execute convicted murderer, then skip autopsy
Boy who was reported missing from a resort near Disney World found dead in water
Bob Newhart, comedy icon and star of The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart, dies at age 94
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Michael Strahan’s Daughter Isabella Strahan Celebrates Being Cancer-Free
Canadians say they're worried a U.S. company may be emitting toxic gas into their community
Thousands celebrate life of former fire chief killed at Trump rally, private funeral set for Friday